Welcome to the Otaku Club Home

Important spaceship things you should be paying attention to

Bozwaldo
    Admin

Important spaceship things you should be paying attention to

Post  Bozwaldo on Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

As you certainly don't know, there's a whole lot of stuff going on in the private spaceflight industry right now.

Richard Branson, AKA IRL Zaphod Beeblebrox, started Virgin Galactic a while back, to provide suborbital spaceflight excursions to civilians who can pony up 200k gold per seat. Unfortunately, the development went all 787 on us, and they're about 3 years behind schedule.

But enough of that, here's some fun test flight things they've done, including (FINALLY) their first powered flight of VSS Enterprise:

Feathering test (how it will re-enter the atmosphere):

Powered flight:

The other major news recently is another flight of SpaceX's Grasshopper test vehicle, which is developing vertical landing of the company's already-flown Falcon 9 rocket so that you won't be throwing away $40 million worth of rocket every time you go to space.

Even though it might look small, that rocket there is the height of a 10-story building:

Also, SpaceX is going to launch a Falcon 9 version 1.1 from Vandenberg Air Force Base (north of LA) next month, and I'm going. Any co-conspirators?

Location : Inside the Forest Temple, heading where the wind will guide me, on Tallon IV (being hopelessly lost), and on Victory Road

Re: Important spaceship things you should be paying attention to

Post  selfhelpguru on Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 am

Bozwaldo
    Admin

Post  Bozwaldo on Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 am

Here's more reusability stuff.

This one is the official SpaceX video from 2011, demonstrating how they're going to recover almost all of the Falcon 9-R (as they've dubbed the reusable falcon 9) as early as next year.

Fun fact: The video is incorrect. I can tell from some of the engines, and from seeing quite a few rockets in my time. The first-stage engines in the Falcon 9-R will be in the circular Falcon 9 v1.1 configuration, not the 3x3 of the original Falcon 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2-qEC7P_I

This second one is pretty much the same as the first, only in more detail. Plus it's Kerbal Space Program, so it's got to be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os6MGrvoKwU

Admin

Post  Bozwaldo on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey guys the launch that I mentioned in the OP was pushed back, and now it's going to launch on Sunday. I have a motel room sorted out, so whoever wants to come can do so FOR FREE!?!?!?!?!

It's going to be pretty cool.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:28 pm